It was a glorious Spring day. After weeks of false starts, it was a divine 26 degrees and couldn’t have been more perfect for my backyard picnic.
Gorgeous friends, yummy food, laughter and love.
That’s what I’m talking about.
Yield – enough for 4 as main or 7 as part of a meal
You will need –
- 1 smoked trout
- 2 cups pasta, penne or farfalle ideal
- 1/2 spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup peas – frozen is fine
- 1 cup broad beans – frozen is fine
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody stalks removed and chopped into 1.5cm chunks
- 3 big handfuls of rocket
- 150g ricotta
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 preserved lemon, flesh removed, finely chopped – if you have it
- a big slug of good salad olive oil
- lemon pepper if you have it or just salt and pepper will do
Cook your pasta in salted water. Drain and cool.
Pick your trout into a large bowl, taking care to remove all little bones. Throw in your rocket and chopped onions.
Toss your broad beans into a pot of boiling water, when tender – 3 or 4 minutes – drain and leave to cool. Remove the tough outer skin when they are cool enough to handle. Quickly blanch your asparagus, peas ensuring to leave them with a little bite. Drain and cool.
Toss your green vegetables onto your salad, add your pasta, preserved lemon, lemon juice and oil and ricotta.
Season generously and toss.