Uncategorized

Fugly Birthday Cake….how low can we go?

March 12, 2013

happy birthday cakeOn the 23rd March, we will be celebrating a birthday.

Not D Man’s, although he’s turning 3 soon, nor is it Kiki’s first birthday, although that is looming also.

On the 23rd of March, 2012, I posted my first blog, after two of my dear friends cajoled me into starting a project one morning at the park.
I had been complaining of feeling like I was dying creatively, and in danger of disappearing into a waft of insignificance.

At their suggestion my initial thought was –

‘What on Earth do I have to say?’

– And wouldn’t you know it, it would appear I have a whole lot to say.

I’m no longer dying or in fear of disappearing, and I can’t believe how fast this first year has gone. I think we could fairly safely say I’ve embraced all things blog.

I’ve made new cyber friends, had amazing exchanges of thoughts and the support I’ve received upon the interwebs has been wonderful and now I feel like it’s time to give something back.

Birthdays are great for many reasons, but none more than CAKE.

Happy Birthday, Justin......you're not a total twerp, you're just misunderstood.

Happy Birthday, Justin……you’re not a total twerp, you’re just misunderstood.

I’ve decided that I’m going to make Keeping Up With The Holsbys a birthday cake…..but it will not be like any old cake ordinaire, oh no. It won’t.

Where’s the fun in that?

I recently posted really freaky-looking cakes and meatloaves shaped like babies (don’t google Meatloaf baby, you can never un-see that) on my Facebook page, and it made me decide I was ready for a cake challenge.

Say it with a heart cake.

Say it with a heart cake.

We know I’m a croissant-making, smarty-pants, over-achiever, so let’s try a challenge of a different kind –

An inappropriate, or fugly, cake challenge.

Is a uterus cake ever appropriate?

Is a uterus cake ever appropriate?

That’s right, folks, I’m going to try my hand at cake decorating for your viewing pleasure, and you’re going to decide what I make.

I wonder if Grandma was at the baby shower?

I wonder if Grandma was at the baby shower?

There is no suggestion to weird, too gross, or too inappropriate, and the one that I deem the most hilarious, I will attempt to make, eat and blog.

I could never kill Hoot, but Hootabelle?

I could never kill Hoot, but Hootabelle?

For a little inspiration I’ve found some truly awful, and strangely awesome, baked delights.

I would serve this one in a cake potty, of course.

I would serve this one in a cake potty, of course.

Drop your suggestion on my Facebook page or in the comments, and let’s get baking!

If I find it too hard to choose I may be forced to put it to a vote, cos we’ll all democratic and shit over here in Holsbyville…..

50 shades of wrong.

50 shades of wrong.

I’m hooking up with EssentiallyJess and the ibots today…..cos it’s Tuesday and that’s how we roll.

• Reply mummysundeservedblessings March 12, 2013 at 7:22 am

Oh my! Not sure if I could eat any of those cakes but they are VERY funny! I am very tempted to see a meatloaf baby now..

• Reply Cooker and a Looker March 12, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’ve seen some off-side baking in my time, but that potty takes the errr. well you know what I’m saying. Can’t wait to see what you come up with – there are so many dastardly minds on the interwebs,

• Reply Yvette @ Little Bento Blog March 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

CRAZY cakes.. oh i dont think I could even attempt to nibble on any of those!!! But I love to attempt a crazy cake!!!!

#teamIBOT was here 🙂

• Reply Rachel March 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

It’s amazing that so many people have spent so much time and effort creating things that are so truly fugly! I have to say though – there’s a kind of “anti-brilliance” to them that I really like. It’s a little bit subversive and a whole lot of gross but like a car crash you just can’t look away 🙂

• Reply Kerry's Organized Chaos March 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I just had a flashback of my bachelorette party cake. It was 3D. I’m sure you can figure it out!

• Reply Have a laugh on me March 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Man those are some disturbing cakes – what about a self-portrait cake?

• Reply Bunny Eats Design March 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Congratulations on 1 year. A fugly birthday cake…what about a waterbirth cake? Beautiful in concept but not a scene that makes me hungry.

• Reply Keeping Up With The Holsbys March 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Wow. That’s pretty funny!

On 12/03/2013, at 1:01 PM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

• Reply katelikestocreate March 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Ohhh! Not a good post to look at on a day when I’m feeling poorly…
    I really like the uterus cake – you could use raspberry licorice for the fallopian tubes! Or you could do a placenta cake – made with real placenta!
    Ugh! I just made myself sick!

• Reply Kimba Likes March 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I’m so glad I haven’t eaten lunch today! Um, I vote for a laptop shaped cake!

• Reply Dida March 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Excellent cakes! I love a good, really weird cake. Why go boring when you can go outrageous! What about a screaming babies in a birds nest cake?

• Reply EssentiallyJess March 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

What about a julia gillard or tony abbott cake? It might be a little hard to eat though…. 😉

• Reply Keeping Up With The Holsbys March 13, 2013 at 6:40 am

Oooooh, nice one! That is a fugly cake.

On 12/03/2013, at 9:31 PM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

• Reply Self Portrait Birthday Cake… cos I’m weird like that. | Keeping Up With The Holsbys March 24, 2013 at 7:25 am

[…] poodling around and seeing some truly awful cakes online, I promised you I would try my hand at cake decorating to celebrate Keeping Up With The […]

• Reply Happy Birthday To Me, Sorta (No, It’s Not My Birthday) | Rodney M Bliss November 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm

[…] (Photo Credit: Keeping Up With The Holsbys) […]

• Reply HBD, WWW! | Jennie Gault March 13, 2014 at 4:11 am

[…] Image from: http://www.keepingupwiththeholsbys.com/2013/03/12/fugly-birthday-cake-how-low-can-we-go/ […]

• Reply Birthday Cake Images March 24, 2014 at 3:33 pm