My pantry

Toddler Guerilla Tactics and a Sausage Roll

March 15, 2013

sausage roll ingredients Before I had children I had a very clear image of the type of parent I would be.

I would always maintain cool composure, because everyone knows children can smell fear.Ā I would never, ever smack, nor allow junk food, and enforce a strict bedtime. My children would be clean, and my house would be tidy with just one little play area for toys.

Oh, and I would always remain fun. Naturally, I’d be the funnerest mum ever.

Fast forward almost 3 years and I can pretty much see y’all sniggering into your cup of tea.

Lego, Little People and dinosaurs are all over my floor, my kids’ faces are smeared with snot and breakfast and the piles of washing, both clean and dirty, are mammoth, and I’m sitting at my computer instead of getting onto it.

I’d like to say I’ve learned to pick my battles, but I probably haven’t. Sometimes I feel like I’m getting beaten by a little guerilla toddler.

Toddler terrorism is rife in my house, and I’m ashamed to say that I am not above bribery, and depending on the circumstance, I may even just succumb to the tyranny.

One fine example was at oh five hundred hours this morning, after I’d been up a gazillion times with a sick Kiki, and having a supremely snotty nose myself, I heard D Man saying he didn’t want to sleep anymore.

I wasn’t havin’ that.

rolling the sausage rolls

Usually, I can stealthily commando in, shove Ratty in his arms, cover him up, and be out of the room before he could say ‘I want milk’, but this morning he said –

I want the fluffy blankie.

Shit. I’d put it away. In Kiki’s room.

I said gently, No darling, it’s sleepy time now, we’ll get the fluffy blankie out of Kiki’s room in the morning. Stay in bed until it’s light outside. Night night.

I WANT THE FLUFFIE BLANKIE, shrieked my little dictator, (and I’m sure I heard a German accent – is that reference kosher? Probably not.)

A few things ran through my mind, and of course, I know I should have stood my ground, but all hell would have broken loose, everyone would have been crying and up for the day and I just wasn’t ready for that shit.

So, Mini Despot got his blankie.

And I got half and hour more sleep.

Was it worth it?

Another one were having currently is over tomato sauce. Boy has discovered the joy of the tangy, sweet/sour condiment from the Heinz Gods, and I agree that some foods must have sauce. A pie, fish and chips, hell, even shepard’s pie, but not everything to cross the dinner table needs to be doused.

Broccoli, for instance, does not need sauce.

I put my foot down over this one, and I put it down good.

Perhaps it’s easier to stand my ground in the light of day……thankfully, these little sausage rolls a begging to be loved with sauce.

When it came to these, Boy had his way.

sausage rolls fresh from the ovenHealthy Mini Sausage Rolls

Yield : 25, depending on how big you make them

What you will need :

• 350g pork
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 zucchini, finely grated
  • 1/2 carrot, finely grated
  • 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg yolk
  • sesame and poppy seeds
  • sauce to serve

What you need to do :

Preheat oven to 200C

Place your fennel and mustard seeds in a dry frypan over a medium heat and toast until lightly golden and fragrant. Pop into a mortar and pestle and give them a good bashing.

Lightly fry your onion until it is translucent.

Toss your pork, veges and onion and spices into a bowl and mix together thoroughly. Season well.

Cut your sheet of pastry into three equal slices and using a tablespoon to measure out your mixture, roll up your little sausage rolls until the mixture is finished.

Brush rolls with egg yolk and sprinkle with the seeds, before popping them into the oven until they are golden brown – about 20 mins.

Serve with sauce, of course.

Homemade sausage rolls

If you need inspiration for Toddler Friendly food, why not check out my ebooks?
For a measly $15 you can have two books worth of kid friendly food ideas that the whole family will love!

I’m flogging my blog with Grace today over at FYBF

• Reply Cooker and a Looker March 15, 2013 at 8:21 am

It feels like I spend every early morning hissing “be quiet or you’ll wake your sister” at my big girl.
    Kudos for putting your foot down on tomato sauce! x

• Reply coloursofsunset March 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

We love home made sausage rolls here, and they’re so easy! And yes, tomato sauce gets put on a lot at our house, but agreed – not broccoli. We try to pick out battles, and I hate when you say no to something and then realise that if you’d just say yes, peace would be restored, but you’re breaking your “no means no” rule…some times it is all just too damn hard! hope your household is healthy again asap! x Aroha

• Reply Carolyn March 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

Cracking up reading this one! Hilarious!! Yummo, those little rolls look like delicious little morsels.

• Reply Kare March 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm

My 19 month old recently discovered the joys of tomato sauce, and heaven forbid if there is not enough of it on his plate. The entire meal consists of him pointing and grunting until another squirt is added to his almost full plate of sauce. I understand your pain!! Thanks for the laugh!! x Karen

• Reply Winnie @ Bubfriendly March 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Every little bribery just for some peace! šŸ˜‰ And before I was a parent – I always told myself yea I’m not going to let them eat and watch tv! LOL! Who said that!!!??? Thanks for the recipe! – can’t wait to try out these yummylicious sausage rolls!

• Reply [email protected] March 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Oh how I love this. I was a picture perfect pre-parent also. I think my crown got lost in the mail. Love the sound of the recipe, I think even my fuss pot would give them a go!

Loz x

• Reply Keeping Up With The Holsbys March 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

ahhhh, wrap anything in pastry and put sauce on it!!!
      It’s nice to know I’m not alone in the misplaced crown dept x

• Reply Have a laugh on me March 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

Think I might actually attempt these for No.1’s upcoming birthday – thanks for tip! I would have never thought of pork mince

• Reply mamagrace71 March 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Oh, these look absolutely delish!!! Will have to try them out! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply keladelaide March 31, 2013 at 12:18 am

Heartfelt thanks for visiting Free Little Words and liking the post you read. I look forward to checking out more of your posts soon.

• Reply Parentingbarefootinsnow April 4, 2013 at 12:36 am

I love post. You have a delightful turn of phrase and a wonderful sense of humor. I’m excited to keep reading.

• Reply Cook Once Feed All book launch. Just like a party, but betterā€¦. | Keeping Up With The Holsbys December 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

[…] Mini Pork and Fennel Sausage Rolls […]

• Reply Lamb and Barley soup November 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

[…] busting out a quick swim (yes, ocean swim in winter – freak) so we went up to a play area to eat a little picnic and play whilst waiting for him. When we arrived, we were sitting near another family with a girl […]

• Reply 7 toddler foods that they'll eat, not spit. – Keeping Up With the Holsbys January 15, 2016 at 7:29 am

[…] Homemade SausageĀ  […]