I had a chat with someone today that said next year she was hoping for an ordinary year.
I agreed. An ordinary year sounds quite lovely.
Nice and normal.
What is normal? What is ordinary?
We discussed what an ordinary year may look like… non-eventful, just going about your every day business, doing the school run and smelling the roses.
Then we both laughed at the idea. I laughed because I know that my life will never be ordinary because I have 38 years of social proof that tells me that my life is anything but ordinary.
She laughed because she thought it sounded boring.
Then we both laughed because we were laughing.
Interesting, unusual, and intense experiences seem to find me, and I admit I probably don’t shy away as some might. I throw myself into the guts of it and worry about the STUFF later.
I don’t think I was destined to live an ordinary life. Not to say I’m extraordinary by any stretch of the imagination, I’m just me. Suburban mum of two, slightly left-field, laughs at her own jokes, does her own head in with stupid shit.
A little bit smelly.
I recently posted a little video of myself on Facebook explaining an incident I had at the pool where I randomly broke into song to a stranger, because it was a cute story, and I knew people would smile, and I received a message from a concerned friend that I would alienate people if I didn’t try to act more
I really had to laugh.
What the fuck is normal?
I sure as shit don’t know, and no one I love dearly enough to ask would be able to answer because they too are all technicoloured and fascinating and weird in their own little ways.
I do plenty of normal things, every day. Get up, eat breakfast, get dressed – normal.
Normal is so subjective and I think on an emotional balance kind of level we should be aiming for ‘our normal’.
I’ve devised a little normal test to see how you fare –
1. While you eat one meal you are talking about the next?
Yes – Normal No – What’s wrong with you? Not normal
2. You love yourself but you doubt yourself ruthlessly?
Yes – Normal No – Go you. Most abnormal but awesome.
3. You wish you miraculously lost 5 kilos without having to do anything for it?
Yes – Normal No – Shut up, you’re weird.
4. You only meant to drink one glass of wine but half a bottle fell into your mouth before your realised?
Yes – Normal No – You are an inspiration.
5. You love your kids unconditionally unless they ruin your favourite jeans?
Yes – Normal No – You’re a saint
6. You wish you never screamed and said irrational, insensitive things to your kids but sometimes it slips out?
Yes – Normal No – See above, but note one day you may burst in a horrible explosion.
7. You like the smell of your own farts?
Yes – Normal No – Liar
8. When you see chopsticks do you automatically pretend they are walrus tusks?
Yes – Normal No – Boring
9. You hug a random person who tells you something that makes you feel?
Yes – NORMAL No – Probably safer that way
10. You spontaneously break into song with a stranger?
Yes – TOTES NORMAL No – Why not?
11. You have random sexual thoughts whilst standing in the supermarket queue?
Yes – Normal No – You should try it.
12. You rock a moustache at every available opportunity?
Yes – Normal No – No sweat, obvs you weren’t a pirate in a previous life.
How did you go? Normal? Not normal?
If you like what you’re seeing, stick around and have a flick through some related posts.
Want some more? Why not like my Facebook page now?
You can also subscribe via email, or follow me on Instagram and Twitter at The Holsbys to be sure you always Keep up with the Holsbys.